Discussion: Reducing validator set or increasing the minimum validator commission?

We discussed most of the ways to generate value in the previous discussion thread here.

While I believe there were strong arguments to not reduce staking until other XPRT value could be generated to make up for the reduced rewards, the people voted to reduce the staking rewards without any guarantees of additional value generation.

With that proposal passing, I don’t support reducing staking rewards further through a raise in the minimum staking fee for all validators. I think that past vote indirectly was a vote to also reduce the number of validators in the active set. So that is the path we are on. This was mentioned in the previous thread:

Validators economy
The inflation change impact validators economic situation where the cost vs payment ratio will be different. It could cause the situation where the business model would be no longer viable for all the validators (especially the ones in the lower half) but the impact of having lower set of validators can be balanced by additional BTC security.

So, that being the case on how people voted, in my opinion there is nothing to be fixed.

1 Like